Since cannabis was made legal for medical and or recreational uses, a wide array of people have had breathtaking testimonies about the uses, potencies, and benefits associated with this amazing plant. Some of the ailments these patients used cannabis for include physical ailments like
- As well as AIDS
However, amidst the potencies associated with the cannabis plant, testimonies from patients surveyed to use cannabis a panacea for psychological disorders depression are not so common. Luckily, and considering cannabis is passed the stigma that was once associated with its use, many people are beginning to come out from their shelves and tell the world about their experiences and how cannabis helped them cope with mental illness.
Also, doctors and physicians are gradually catching the cannabis cold and have come out in support of cannabis as a panacea for a wide array of psychological disorders
The term depression is a complicated mood disorder surveyed to its sufferers practically incapable to go about their daily routines like eating, sleeping as well as having fun. With that said, it should be worthy to note that depression comes in a wide array of forms. Some of them include
- Major Depression: This is the persistent inability to enjoy life for six months or more.
- Dysthymia: This encompasses living with mild depression for about two years, sandwiched with stable periods.
- Manic Depression or Bipolar Disorder: This is depression that is sandwiched with rapid mood changes, which comes with insomnia hyperactivity, rapid speech as well as impulsive behaviour.
- SAD: or better still called Seasonal Affective Disorder, is a form of depression that triggers seasonal changes
Taking to mind the aforementioned tip, it should be worthy to note that the WHO estimates that over 350 million people across the globe and of all age brackets suffer from some form of depression. Making this ailment (depression) one of the leading cause of disability worldwide
Causes of Depression
Some of the root causes of depression include
- Abuse, be it physical, emotional, and or sexual
- Conflict with families, friends, and or loved ones
- Loss or death of a loved one
- Stress is also one of the leading causes of depression.
Others cause of depression include
- Serious illness
- Substance abuse
- Major changes or life events
Cannabis and its Benefits
Cannabis legalization in Canada was spearheaded by the potencies and healing prowess of the cannabis plant. all of which is evident as the plant is today used to treat ailments like
- Anxiety and anxiety-related disorders
- Chronic pain
- To some extend depression
Cannabis For Depression
While research remains in infancy regarding cannabis as a panacea for depression, physicians and cannabis researchers are bent on finding a lasting solution to patients suffering from depression. Based on a 2015 study championed by the University of Buffalo’s Research Institute on Addictions, specific chemical components found in the brain (endocannabinoids) has the knack of activating the same receptors as the active compounds in cannabis does as well.
During another test conducted on rats, the researchers were amazed to know that endocannabinoid production recorded record lows when the rats were chronically stressed instead of under usual circumstances. This certainly prompt them to conclude that the chemical component present in cannabis treats and restores endocannabinoid function, which in turn alleviates symptoms of depression.
Though this researcher is still in its infancy, the signs look promising and is a sign of hope and better things to come. However, and should you be faced with depression, rather than self-medicating with cannabis, patients are edged to seek a specialist’s counsel before using cannabis for their depression.